It is TPR  not Tpa  😎 

What are you interested in about it?

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, TPA 3080

Interested in the sound, build quality, etc.

Seems to me its one of the topmodels of the 30xx series

Maybe one of the forummembers owns one and can write sort of a review.

I have a 3012a myself, that s the only one from the 30xx series I have.

Piet

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

TPR, ecxuse

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

TPR 3080A "Huldra" in no way was one of the topmodels of the 30xx series - neither considering the price nor the sound quality. In fact it has three boards inside: 3031A, 3038A and  3036A (of these three I like 3031A most). Hence the sound quality of the entry 30xx series units - not bad but nothing outstanding. Build quality is good

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@koba, thanks for the answer, very clear

.I have the 3012A  myself, I like it a lot

Sounds different from 10xx and 20xx series, but still very good.

I have been focussed more on the older models, Solvsuper, Huldra, 1000 and 2000.series

But I am also very interested  in the 30xx and 40xx series, not very much info and discussion on internet about these series.

Should be nice to start a discussion here on the Forum.

Thanks and regards Piet

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

3012(A) is not bad but it's another entry level unit from Tandberg. But I will take 3012(A) if will have to choose between 3012(A) and 3080A 😀 

If you like it there's a reason to try some other amps of 30XX series. Set of 3002A/3008A pre and 3006A power (preferably late Zero feedback version) is a good choice.

4038 pre from 40XX series is also good choice for reasonable money. They are often in Europe for Euro 200-300 (as usual in champagne and without remote)

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips Koba

Appreciate that 🤩 

Regards,Piet

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Personal experience is the best priority 😎 

ReplyQuote
(@jdurbin1)
Eminent Member

This ^^ is a good assessment. I own a TPR 3080A and am happy to have it in the collection, but it would rank further down the list if I was choosing which system to have set up to listen to. My preference is 3001A/3008A (or 3018A)/3026A, and I've also quite enjoyed the 3012A/3011A as a more compact, accessible solution at times. I'd also much prefer using my TR 2080 receiver as well, sounds better than the 3080A and looks fabulous.

The 3080A does come in first in one area though: fastest rotating remote control volume knob I have EVER seen! You have to almost pulse it and hope that it coasts to a stop at the right level; it's more difficult to creep to the right setting since it takes off so quickly from rest.

Which to that point, remote control could be a plus for some users but for me doesn't offset the sonic and other virtues of the earlier models in the 3000-series. If remote control is a must, there are also 4000-series (though harder to find).

John

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

@jdurbin1 Just a fact: RC 3000 remote from my 3080A rotates volume knob of the TCA 3028A I use in my system at the moment much faster than RC 4070MkII 😀 

P.S. picture from Web

ReplyQuote
(@jdurbin1)
Eminent Member

@koba that is interesting, I don't think I've compared the two remotes when used with the same component. IIRC it was the RC 3000 I was using for the 3080A so that seems consistent. Maybe a difference in the IR output frequency or some other characteristic...

John

ReplyQuote
JohnDonson
(@johndonson)

I own a 3080 since five or six years now an it has been two times at a service technician. The issue is a not very well constructed plastic inner part which gets cracks at aging and then damages the power amplifier stage. Maybe someone here has more precise information about that issue. Tandberg changed this part during production run or afterwards but I have no detailed knowledge about this.

ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.