13 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hello The TR20xx enthusiasts !

If you need any help with this line of products please let me know. I restored 50+ units so far so I think I have a little bit of knowledge what/how can be done. It's my hobby and I do it mainly for family and friends. It's more and more difficult and expensive to find a good base for restoration, but I still can manage it. If you are looking for specific model please let me know. Below you may find a few examples of my present work - TR2055. 

best regards from Poland, Pawel

Pawel

Tandbergista reacted
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Hi. Pawel! Great receiver! Like it but my one has an issue - time after time one channel volume is 2 tmes (sometimes even 3 times) louder than the other. Is it typical issue for TR-2055?

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@koba Hello, it's not a typical issue with any TR20xx unfortunately. My best guess is that you may have a problem with the volume potentiometer. It's not easy to find replacement ( almost not possible ), but you may clean it. It was a few types of it assembled by Tandberg, but send me the photo i can look and tell you if may open and clean it. If not the only option is to use the reasonable amount of dedicated cleaner and spry it.  

Pawel

Pawel

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@koba in fact if you look at my picture on the right, you see 2 most common types of potentiometers. The first one on the left ( volume ) is not easy to open ( I don't recommend without knowledge and special tools ) so only spry may help, the rest is relatively easy to open and clean.

The first one - it may happen that a very,very thin blade ( like a ring ) keeping the graphite pin is broken and than you have to replace the whole potentiometer. 

Pawel

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Thank you! Except the mentioned issue the volume potentiometer works flawlessly... But thinking the same way you do I've already cleaned it by Kontakt Pr cleaner (made in Poland 😀 ) - unfortunately no result

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

As well as Balance potentiometer

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@koba - the good one 🙂 . Is it the same behavior independently from the source ( FM/Phono/Tape )? 

Pawel

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@koba - the good one 🙂 . Is it the same behavior independently from the source ( FM/Phono/Tape )? Unfortunately you have 3 which are very difficult to open and clean....

Pawel

ReplyQuote
Nimei
(@nimei)

@pawel Thanks for offering your expertise! Unfortunately, at least one of my 20xx series receivers has the difficult potentiometers, too. Do you have any tipps for me where/how to spray clean them properly? Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@nimei - send me the photo, I need to know the type you have, than I can give you some advice.

Pawel

ReplyQuote
Nimei
(@nimei)

Posted by: @pawel

@nimei - send me the photo, I need to know the type you have, than I can give you some advice.

Haha, turns out the picture I thought was from the one I opened recently is not actually from my receiver... I will take some pictures once I’ve got it back at my place. Thank you anyway!

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @pawel

@koba - the good one 🙂 . Is it the same behavior independently from the source ( FM/Phono/Tape )? 

No matter which source (haven't checked Phono though). Also no matter A or B speakers are used

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I see that potentiometers are the hot subject here. I will open new topic and make some kind of the potentiometer guide book based on my experience during weekend.

Pawel

koba reacted
ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.