Clear all

Dead bass in TL3520

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I´ve just got a new pair of TL3520s in the house. Unfortunately, the bass is dead... There is sound in middle and treble tones. 

I have tested with two amplifiers. A TR1000 and a oldish Harman Kardon. And I have tested with different cables and another pair of speakers. The problem is in the pair TL3520. 

I measured the bass speaker to 8,2 Ohms. 

I have tried to connect the the speaker cable directly to the terminals on the speaker. Same sound and no bass. 

The rings are new on the elements and they worked before they were shipped to me. So I guess something happened during the shipping. 

Do you have any advice before I buy new elements and try if that gives me bass?

Update: The membrane do not move. Its "hard" and not flexible when I touch it. 

(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Do anyone have a suggestion for which elements to buy for replacement of the Peerless p100wf that was used in the TL3520? I guess the Peerless elements are impossible to find...

There is a set of Seas 25F-EWX for sale in Norway. Perhaps they will be a good match? What do you think? 

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/h108_25f-ewx.pdf

ReplyQuote
Indianeren
(@indianeren)
Eminent Member

This is a typical problem with old speakers that have been moved around. The big magnet on the bass gets loose due to old adhesive and hard meetings with the floor. When this happens the magnet gap is jammed and the winding's is trapped in the gap. You need a skilled repair guy to fix it, bur since the winding's measure are right it is hope for repair. I am crossing fingers for you to get this fixed. It is a very good speaker!

ReplyQuote
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm sending the elements to a guy that have fixed a lot of elements with this problem. He will hopefully fix them, if not I must find other elements to use. 

ReplyQuote
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The speakers are now fixed. I´m so happy and cant wait for the mail to deliver them 🙂

koba reacted
ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.