Clear all

1040 Filter cap confusion

14 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
happy_house
(@happy_house)
Topic starter  

I am replacing the filter caps on an Tandberg 1040. The old caps have "plain negative" written on them, with one pin marked with red color. I assumed this would mean that the red pin was positive and the other (unmarked pin) was supposed to be negative. I was a bit uncertain however, so I looked in the service manaul. To my surprise it indicated the opposite when I checked how the caps were soldered to the board: the red pin seemed to be the negative and the unmarked pin was positive.

I then found this blog which states that the manual shows the wrong polarity for the caps. https://tandbergista.home.blog/tr-1040/

Just wanted to double-check here before I put the new caps in, as it can become quite the mess if I put them in the wrong way... Am I reading the polarity wrong on the existing caps or is the service manual in fact wrong? My guess is the latter, but better safe than sorry πŸ™‚

This topic was modified 3 years ago by happy_house

(@karol)

😉

ReplyQuote
happy_house
(@happy_house)
Topic starter  

Ah, thanks! That settles it.

I'll get the marker out and do the same.
In another 50 years the next person to replace the filter caps should have no doubt πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
(@karol)

100 years 👍😋

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Just to make it clear: is it mistake in the service manual?

ReplyQuote
(@karol)

yes mistake in service manual

koba reacted
ReplyQuote
(@karol)

boys you changed other capacitors ? / I read a lot the unreliability of the frako gold coluor /

ReplyQuote
koba
 koba
(@koba)
Trusted Member

Sorry for off... this TR-1055 was bought here in Ukraine

Β 

ReplyQuote
happy_house
(@happy_house)
Topic starter  

@karol I changed all electrolytics and tantalums, the golden ones all measured fine on my ESR meter however so they might have lasted a while longer.

ReplyQuote
(@hagzo)
Eminent Member

Did you have to desolder the gold caps to measure them?Β 

ReplyQuote
happy_house
(@happy_house)
Topic starter  

@hagzo I did disolder them because I wanted to replace them all. My ESR meter supports checking caps in-curcuit as well so I could probably have checked them without desoldering them first.

ReplyQuote
(@hagzo)
Eminent Member

That good to know.Β  I was about to buy an ESR meter on account of the amount of old tandbergs I have 😀......i was thinking of this one that can test in circuit

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/peak-esr70-atlas-esr-plus-tester/p-48080575-95596892?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQis8X9HRFx7cLEk9JZia4V78hHJSLm3xi_mrN6iDrdfC7w0aDkFRH-kaAo3zEALw_wcB

ReplyQuote
(@karol)

c601 tr1040 tantal

Β 

ReplyQuote
(@hagzo)
Eminent Member

👍

ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.