Clear all

TR1000 - advice on buying loudspeakers

13 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I’ve just bought a TR1000 and I need advice on what loadspeakers I should buy. I don’t play on very high volume.

What do you recommended?

Radionette TK400? 12S? 

Tandberg TL2520?

Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin

I think all those will be fine, also the larger Tandberg range would be a good combination, TL3520, 5010 and 5020. A vintage Seas model like a kit 503 or that Dynaco A25 clone would probably be good.
Like I wrote in another post, I was really impressed with the Seas kit for the Dynaco A25 model.

I am interested to hear if someone combined it with modern speakers.
I think if you don't mind spending some dough, high end speakers like Sonus Faber would be nice too. Can be bought used for 500 euro or so, and up, depending on the model of course.

The new Wharfedales, forgot the model, got very good reviews. Steve Guttenberg, "the Audiophiliac" likes them and reviewed them.

ReplyQuote
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What about Seas Hifi 30? There is a pair for sale in Norway now 🙂

ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin

@steinerikhanssen That might be a good combination. I love the vintage Seas speakers, have quite a few of them!

ReplyQuote
Indianeren
(@indianeren)
Eminent Member

Hi!

Don't underestimate the smallest TL speaker, TL 1520. I have a TR1000 myself and I must say that when I played the TR 1000 with a pair of the small TL 1520 I was overwhelmed. It played with much more depth than I had anticipated. With smaller amps this speaker behaves thinner in the sound and without liveliness. Used with TR 1000 it sounds really good. I will recommend you try this small speaker, especially if space is an issue.

Ola S.

Tandbergista reacted
ReplyQuote
(@steinerikhanssen)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @indianeren

Hi!

Don't underestimate the smallest TL speaker, TL 1520. I have a TR1000 myself and I must say that when I played the TR 1000 with a pair of the small TL 1520 I was overwhelmed. It played with much more depth than I had anticipated. With smaller amps this speaker behaves thinner in the sound and without liveliness. Used with TR 1000 it sounds really good. I will recommend you try this small speaker, especially if space is an issue.

Ola S.

I might try that. Would like to have a set of TL1520s in stock anyway. Now I use a set of Patos B300s on the TR1000 and they are great. I really like the sound of those Patos'.

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member

I am listening right now to my TR1000.

I  drive Jamo J 101 speakers, 3 way, 60 watt

Cheap speakers to buy in Holland, got 3 pairs

I like this combination very much., old speakers , think around 1975 -1980, very clean , clear and open sound, can handle each kind of music from classic to heavy metal.

Always good sound, especially for the TR 10xx series and Huldra 9, very good combo, magic....

Unbeatable

Never- disappointing speakers Jamo J 101

Also have Thiel CS 2.2, great speakers also, much expensive compared to Jamo J101.

Still Jamo 101 wins from Thiel ( to my ears)

Regards Piet

ReplyQuote
 Piet
(@piet)
Eminent Member

How do you like your TR 1000????

It is one of my favourite Tandbergs, together with my  Huldra 9.

Very open, clear sound, different from the 20xx series, even different from 1040 and 1055

Piet

ReplyQuote
(@tr-hi-fi)

I had for years one of my TR1000 connected to TL5020, and that was (not surprisingly) a great combination. Then I switched to B&W DM6 (the ''Pregnant Penguin''). That high-end speaker from 1976 and the TR1000 is for my ears the perfect match. I have a lot of vintage Hi-Fi, including high-end amps, speakers and so on, but the combination TR1000 and DM 6 are second to none. 

ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin

@Piet
I'm running my renovated TR-1000 with the (also renovated) Seas Kit 60 speakers now.
It is a perfect match, these large speakers need some power and are not the ideal match for Huldra 9 or the smaller Tandberg's. But with the TR-20xx series or in particular now the TR-1000, there is good chemistry. This may be an expression of the ideal "vintage" sound, or Tandberg sound, it's beefy and musical while the top end has a sparkle and energizing 'life' to it. It really makes music come alive and is the antithesis of sterile and overanalytical. It's fantastic how much energy there is in the music with this combination, which is also the style of the TR-1000 with other speakers I think. I mean the TR-1000 sounds vigorous, vibrant, full of get-up-and-go. If I should find something to compain about, it is that sometimes there is a hint of metallic harshness in the very top end, but this is only sometimes (where the top end is really extended or hot?) and I can live with it, it is a minor thing.

It is "just right". The treble is sprightly and clear while not fatiguing and harsh, the bass is punchy and meaty without being exaggeratedly fast or nervous, the mid is again "just right" - open, human, airy without any artificialness at all.
Talking about "just right", this is such an interesting topic that it deserved a thread in itself. One of my favourite audiophile channels, Thomas & stereo on youtube, just talked about "Just right", in the video Lessons from the Meitner audio MA-1 DAC (Not a review).
I recommend it. Sometimes we chase more and better, but when is it good enough, or Just Right?
The combination talked about here for me illustrates Just Right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrO-Oh4bUg

By the way, the Seas Kit 60 is such a fantastic speaker that I bought another set, just to have.. My first pair is branded Tonola T60 but they are actually factory built Seas 60's. A large, closed box design, with the wonderful Seas dome tweeters.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Tandbergista

ReplyQuote
(@mrtron)

@tandbergista, I know this is an old post, but it came up during a search and I just wanted to comment on the Dynaco A25. This speaker was actually designed and built by Seas. The design and drivers came from Norway and the cabinets were made by Seas Denmark, who also assembled the units.

ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin

@mrtron Thanks for your comment.
I am interested in the Dynaco series of speakers. Just now I bought a similar speaker, a Scandyna SD503. I don't know much about it but it looks like a larger A25, same drivers. 8 ohm. Very interesting design. It will be restored. Anyone knows something about it?

ReplyQuote
(@electrotounes)

je te conseil par cette enceinte portable Bluetooth : https://electrotounes.tn/enceinte-portable-jbl-charge-e4-bluetooth.html

ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.