About the TR-2025

10 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I just restored a TR-2025. Bought it for 60 euro, knowing it did not work. But had not expected the amount of work that would be needed.. It was in pristine condition on the outside, looks like it has been used very little. But the internals, oh dear, one power amp channel drew excessive current, the protection circuit malfunctioned, the pre amp power supply did not work (solder joints), the volume pot had cracked solder joints, had a sort of oscillation problem in the pre amp related to the bass control, and the silent switch IC was shorted. I think that's all..
The silent switch IC has been removed. Not all versions have this I think.
It also got some new caps.

Now it is playing through my TL-5010 speakers. Wonderful sound, I was very positively surprised, this is the smallest 20xx series, but it is punchy and vigorous. Still, a sort of laid back and not in your face'ish sound, very pleasant and not tiring for the ears. It's airy and crisp, images very well.
I think the 2025 is another little gem.
I am interested in hearing your experiences with it and what speakers you combine it with.
Or if you have encountered the problem with it kind of oscillating from turning up the tone controls.

Indianeren
(@indianeren)
Eminent Member

I bought one in 1977 and I have it still. It sounds more powerful than the 25 watts the factory wrote on this one. I paid 3400,- Nkr. in 1977. The biggest one was prized to 5700,- Nkr. back then 😀Β 

Tandbergista reacted
ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator

πŸ˜‰ it's a nice entry level to TR20xx series, the same amp design as Huldra 12, TR2025L, TR2030. I like it !

The silent switch - the real one based on the MC14xx starts from the TR2045. The lower versions having only the semi silent switch and it may generate pops-up from time to time

Pawel

ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@pawel
This one had this silent switch IC which caused problems. I removed it and 'shorted' the in and out PCB points. I am not sure when they started equipping the 2025 with this circuit, do you know how common it is?
There are no pops, no what I have heard yet. There is also the soft start up and DC detect circuit.
I had problems with this too, but it works now. Had to stabilize it with a 100nF capacitor on it's power supply, rather weird construction.
Nevertheless, now it sounds fantastic.
Photo is the IC and the modification, the 100nF cap on the protection circuit 31V supply.

Β 
@indianeren
How nice to have bought one new. Imagine walking in to a shop now and buying a brand new Tandberg, that would be something.

ReplyQuote
Indianeren
(@indianeren)
Eminent Member

I don't understand what you mean with "the silent switch", on my TR2025 is there a relay that opens after the amp has powered up. It prevents popping in the speakers when turning on the receiver. Is it so that this IC is a part of the circuit that prevents pop in the speakers?

To Tandbergista: I do remember the feeling and I still have most of the original boxes it was delivered in! I was 16 years old then 😊Β 

Ola S.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Indianeren

sat82 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@indianeren
The silent switch is not the relay in the protective circuit that prevents pops and detects DC on the output. It is something in the pre amp. It seems to be connected to the FM selector switches and shuts of the pre amp output when selecting radio station. It seems that is what it does, if I understand correctly. Not all TR-2025's have this, only later models I think.

ReplyQuote
Pawel
(@pawel)
Member Moderator

Yep , you are right. In the early version it was something very simple and didn't work very well ( honestly i still don't fully understand how it works,). The upgraded version is OK and SW is located at the preamp board. It is designed to avoid 'clicks' when switching the pre-programmed FM stations.

Β  Β  Β Β 

Pawel

Tandbergista reacted
ReplyQuote
Indianeren
(@indianeren)
Eminent Member

Now I understand what you mean. It is the FM muting. That's another case 😊. I do not understand how this function works. But I know that this circuit was made of Tandberg and after the Tandberg bankrupted it was patented in US, just as the Dolby system. 😆Β 

Β 

ReplyQuote
In Stereo
(@in-stereo)

Posted by: @tandbergista

I am interested in hearing your experiences with it and what speakers you combine it with.

Hi, I'm listening to my TR 2025 combined with TL 3520 speakers. They just had their bass surroundings renewed. In my opinion, sound is very sturdy and loud&clear. Suits nicely for 2025, and that teak-veneer with aluminium trims looks beautiful.👌

Before TL 3520 I used smaller, also norwegian made old DNH speakers. They were rated at 4ohms. Sounded very clear on the mid and high section but demanded pretty much power before the bass started to work properly. So the sound was quite thin yet clear at lower volume levels even with loudness on.

I still have those nice speakers and planning to save them and use with maybe some other Tandberg receiver. I was thinking Tandberg HI-FI FM for the bedroom set. Also it's rated for 4ohm speakers, so that might be a good combination.

Regarding TR 2025 itself, I think it's a little giant. Plenty enough power for me, nice radio tuner with preset stations and absolutely fabulous to look at so what else you possibly need😎 I use it with turntable and cassette deck, those sections works also perfectly.

Β 

-Sami

Β 

Β 

This post was modified 3 years ago by In Stereo

Pawel reacted
ReplyQuote
Tandbergista
(@tandbergista)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@in-stereo
Yes the TR-2025 is probably an excellent choice if you were to have only one Tandberg.
I think the TL-3520 is an excellent combination with it!

The DNH's look nice. Classic design. I like.

ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.